Houses & B+Bs
of Dalwhinnie and 2½ miles past the signpost to Crubenmore,
turn left on the road marked with a brown sign to Ralia. This road
was part of the Old A9 and joins what is now the A86 which can also
be reached by continuing on the new road for half a mile and turning
left. This then takes us over the railway and into Newtonmore. We
are now in Strathspey, the great valley between the Monadhliath, the
Grey Mountains and the Cairngorms, otherwise known as the Monadh Ruadh,
the Red Mountains.
Newtonmore was the first place in the Highlands where pony-trekking
was organised and also has one of the most successful shinty teams.
This is the heart of the MacPherson country and the Clan MacPherson
museum, which is open from April until the end of October, is in the
village. The area was also the location for the long-running BBC television
series ‘Monarch of the Glen’. As we leave the village,
we pass the Highland Folk Museum, which is set in 80 acres and has
a variety of buildings and a 1700’s Highland Township. It is
open from Easter until the end of October and is well worth a visit.
We then reach Kingussie, the capital of the district of Badenoch.
Across the Spey is the ruin of Ruthven Barracks, built in Jacobite
times on the site of a 14th century castle. It was here that the remnants
of the Jacobite army disbanded on the 20th April 1746 after the Battle
of Culloden, on receiving a message from the fugitive Prince Charles
Edward Stuart. Kingussie has a very successful shinty team and the
town hall doubled as the Glenbogle Town Hall in the Monarch of the
Glen. Leaving Kingussie we can then rejoin the new road or pass under
it and travel on the Old A9 to Aviemore and Carrbridge.
Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2015