Guest Houses & B+Bs
Caravan/Camping Sites
Eating & Drinking
Retail Outlets
Tomatin Section
Tomatin Bridges
A9 Sign in layby
Tomatin Bridge


3½ miles

At the Slochd summit, turn left signposted to Tomatin. The road winds it's way down to the village situated on the River Findhorn which has come down from the hills to the south-west dominated by the Monadhliath mountain range.

The bridge over the river was built in 1926 and designed by Sir E. Owen Williams who was Head Engineer for the original Wembley Stadium. It replaced the bridge built by Thomas Telford in 1833. Over to the right can be seen the nine span viaduct built for the Highland Railway in 1897. We are now in Strathdearn.

Tomatin, meaning "Hill of Juniper" in Gaelic, is home to the Tomatin Distillery and visitor centre which lies to the north of the village. We now join the new road north.

©SamFrisco MMXV
Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2015